Two Kinds of Medicine

Psychiatrists prescribe chemical medication that adjusts brain chemistry. The primary effect of this kind of medication is to heal the Brain. The secondary effect is to soothe or heal the Mind. Alternatively, there is another type of medicine: It is Thought. This medicine primarily heals the Mind, and then, secondary it heals the Brain. This chart shows how these types of medicine differ:

Medicine Prescriber Primary Effect Secondary Effect
Chemical Psychiatrist Brain Mind
Thought Teacher Mind Brain

Do you take a Chemical medicine? Lets imagine that you do, for the sake of discussion.

So, you take your Chemical medicine religiously, and it keeps you from having a manic episode, or a panic attack, or hearing voices, or whatever your diagnosis calls for. But, do you take your Thought medicine equally religiously? (As an aside, isn’t it odd how we commonly use the word “religiously” in the context of taking medicine? Is that just a coincidence?)

Lets imagine two different examples of Thought Medicine. Here is the first one:

Everything sucks. There is no opportunity in this town. I could easily list ten major problems in my corner of the world. I might as well give up. 🙁

Here is the second one:

There are some good things in life. Actually there are a lot of them. I am looking for the opportunities in my environment. I can see some already. 🙂

We could hardly even call the first kind “medicine.” But, since it is a Thought, then, in essence, it works out to be a type of medicine. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call it: “bad medicine.”

What about the second example? Obviously, it is the kind of medicine that a healthy person takes.

These examples are simple, but you get the idea. So which kind of medicine are you taking? How’s it working out for you? What kind of thoughts are you putting into your own mind? Would you like to update your “script?” They say that the best things in life are free. That is the way the good Medicine is – it’s totally free.

Some people even say that, if you take the good Medicine faithfully, you will experience a kind of healing. Who knows? It might even be what they used to call “faith” healing.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Two Kinds of Medicine

1. ulaanBaataal says:

Very good essay!

2. full_time_80 says:

I could use some of that medicine. I’ll start today.

3. pinging from germany says:

this article stresses emphasis on mind over matter. you need to have the mental disciple and positive mindset to well, do anything. negativity is just a burden and obstacle that all have to overcome. if you let it get hold of you, it will keep you from achieving what you are capable of.

a good example would be walking. you obliviously have the unhesitatingly confidence to do so. now lets throw in a variable. what about walking over an obstacle, such as ice. all of a sudden, the mindset changes. life indeed throws many variables. if you let that obstacle overcome you, you will get no where. wouldn’t be much fun being stranded on that patch of ice would it?

one must surround thyself in a positive environment, with positive notions, be confident in your abilities when life throws hurtles in your direction. only then can you find your enlightenment.

• admal says:

I like the walking + ice analogy. Of course some level of struggle is necessary if we are ever going to achieve our goals. The idea that we all need to stay positive is certainly true. So why do so many people fail to apply it? I suspect that, in the minds of many giver-uppers, there is a thought process that goes like this: “Sure, I know that I ought to stay positive, and all, but, since my circumstances/environment are already so crappy, I kind of think that I should be off-the-hook on the ‘stay positive rule’.”

So, how can you possibly answer a person who comes at you with that? And actually, maybe they are justified? Maybe they are justified to give up – or maybe they are not – it is hard to say.

For example, lets look at the extremes: Imagine a person who has everything going for him – lots of money, great health, great contacts, great education and, perhaps most importantly, great momentum in the pursuit of the path that they have chosen. For this person, it really makes sense that they would be able and willing to keep on chugging even when faced with an obstacle.

Now think of the opposite case: Imagine a person who has everything NOT going for him – no money, poor health, no contacts (or worse yet, bad contacts), poor education, and, again, perhaps most importantly, a high level of negative momentum. In this case “negative momentum” means a high degree of discouragement. For this kind of person, it kind of makes sense that it would be a “rational” choice for them to give up. Lets assume, following “commonly accepted” views on “when it makes sense to give up”, that, for this person, yes, it does make sense that they should give up.

So we have two people. Person #1 “should” continue to perservere in the face of obstacles. Person #2, it is assumed, is reasonably expected to give up.

So here is the question: What is the cutoff-point as the world of Person #1 deteriorates towards the world of Person #2?

If we are going to answer this question using the “commonly accepted” views on “when it makes sense to give up”, then the answer must, necessarily, be dependant on the culture (since the culture is the origin of “commonly accepted” views.) But, from the perspective of an individual, does that make any sense? That would mean that, if I live in location A, during time-era B, then I should give-up when my circumtances reach point C. Alternatively, if I live in location X, during time-era Y, then I should give up when my circumstances reach point Z. I guess that the reason that I dont like this culturally-dependant point-of-giving-up, is that it kind of means that the success or failure of my own life is dependant on something outside of myself – really just a set of beliefs (my birth-culture) which have been foisted on me by virture of my having been born and raised in a certain place at a certain time.

Ah, but now that I know this to be true, perhaps … just perhaps … there is a way in which I can chose my own culture … as in, for example, the case of imagining myself to be a Roman citizen from the year 150 A.D. Then, once my self-image (now there is an interesting word) has been completely transformed, my point-of-giving-up will, necessarily, also be transformed?

• admal says:

Basically, what I want to have is, a way to approach a discouraged PAL client and say to him: “I understand that, at this point, it seems to you like it makes sense for you to give up. But, what you need to understand is that your perception of what constitutes a rational point-of-giving-up is actually flawed.” I would then explain to him that his culture’s world-view or perception-of-reality is distorted in the specific ways A-B-C (which should really be X-Y-Z, instead.) And once you understand the world in terms of X-Y-Z, you will instantly decide to keep-on-keeping-on, simply because your perception of what constitutes a rational point-of-giving-up has changed.

• admal says:

I have been meaning to write an article about this for some time. The working title (that I have been tossing around in my mind) is: “When Does It Make Sense To Give Up?”

4. perception vs reality says:

It’s like the question of perception vs reality. In many cases there is a wide divergence between the two. Sometimes though we know that we are perceiving things (almost deliberately) in a way that is not true. So the closer we can bring our perceptions to reality – the easier it will probably be to achieve the self control to overcome laziness ….

5. Ashlovi says:

This one is kind of amazing becoz you can search for the 2knds of Meds. This one is a great idea. Helping me through the answer for my ass.