The PAL Pamphlet

Here is a two-page, trifold pamphlet that can be used to introduce folks to the PAL (aka Get Help Get Active) concept.   For example, this pamphlet could be placed in a rack in a social service office setting – or even in a waiting room. Please click on the image to read the full pdf.  You may need to scroll down to see both sides.  (Note:  The top-right column showing the colored graphic will be the front page, when the trifold is folded.)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The PAL Pamphlet

1. hhoot says:

I like it. I read it and I like it. It tells it just like it really is. Keep up the good work!

2. been_there says:

The chart in the PAL pamphlet divides activities into looking for work, school & study, and work.
    Will PAL also help with activities that are not related to finances? Until I find a job, I need to spend some productive time cleaning a slovenly house and keeping it clean. Doing this will help my self-esteem and so indirectly help in the job hunt. Will PAL help with this?

• adpal says:

Hi been_there – you raised a good question. The short answer is that, if you believe that laziness is part of the hold-up in your life, then PAL is eager to help. It is interesting to note how people are commonly lazy in one or more area of life, but reasonably diligent and focused in other areas. Do you believe that part of what is keeping you from cleaning your house is laziness?

3. no thank you says:

Laziness is a myth. Lazy is a derogatory term similar to retard. It is used to describe ones perception of an individual that suffers from a mental illness, learning disability, etc. What you are describing, is a form of behavior modification which if not done properly by a properly trained professional can do a whole lot more harm than good. I would be on board with this charity if the money were used to pay for professional help for individuals who are in need of it. I am not in any way saying your heart isn’t in the right place in wanting to help people, but this is not the way to go about doing it. You could do a whole lot more harm than good.

• Nice idea; hard to implement says:

There is certainly such a thing as ordinary laziness, even if sometimes that negative word is not used. Surely children are rightly scolded (gently) when they don’t do their homework, and an employer rightly does the same thing for an adult who is doing what is easy, not what is needed. Adults and children get into the habit of laziness (it is not just a one time thing), even if you don’t like the name. Adults fight this kind of laziness by positive thinking, forming new habits, attitudes such as “just do it’, exercise, etc (along with moral and religious thinking, although some don’t believe in this). I think that having a friend or even a non-professional “coach” such as PAL to help encourage you could also be helpful.

The problem is when there really is mental illness involved. Even prolonged laziness, or accusations of laziness, combined with bad thinking might trigger major psychological problems, I think; just as trauma can do. Having a professional to guide one in this case is, I would think, very important.

Just speculating: perhaps a professional might suggest that they monitor you closely while you also get non-professional help from others, even PAL. The advantage of PAL is that someone would work with you more closely than a professional has time to do, not psychoanalyzing you, just encouraging you to make progress.

Unfortunately, PAL seems impractical because of the difficulty of getting professionals involved, and for other reasons.

• MVNJ says:

I disagree with the definition of laziness as being a medical disability like retardation. PAL does not give you the definition of laziness – PAL doesn’t accuse people of being lazy – the program only helps people who are self-admitted suffering with laziness. Can the behavior modification help that comes from self-help groups be considered harmful? There are many groups (like church and many volunteer groups) that try to inspire people to try to change their behavior – but they are not professional. So PAL is not a new or novel idea – so how do you think it would end up causing harm? Its like you are saying that parents would be wrong to try to correct their child. I have a mental illness – so, speaking for myself I would say that if a person has an untreated mental illness and they walk into a volunteer self-help group (like a church or any type of grouping of people who are trying to encourage one another to change their own behavior) then most likely that person will fail in their efforts with the group – but they are going to fail in society no matter what group they enter into – with the result taht they will end up in the system or be arrested or hospitalized. So the mentally ill person’s failure is not the fault of the group that they choose to associate themselves with.

I think that what people generally miss about PAL is that the basic idea is that self-identification is the way that new clients enter the PAL system – there is no sense in which PAL is accusing people of being lazy unless they themselves self-identify as lazy.

• been_there says:

In one place PAL does offer a tentative definition of laziness:

“When work is morally obligatory, but a person chooses to not exert themselves to the level (perhaps a diminished level) at which they are capable (or, at least to the level necessary to satisfy the obligation in question), then that is laziness.”

As a (self-identified) lazy person myself, I tend to ask “but is it really obligatory?”, and “at what level must I perform?”. I think that work that is not strictly obligatory can help us to lead a more satisfying life (a life that goes further than meeting the minimal requirements for morality). Laziness seeks to do the least, instead of seeking to do the best. Laziness also asks “is it enough for now?” and forgets what will seriously be needed or best for the future.

There are advantages to one-on-one help (which I think PAL offers) and other advantages to group help. I like the idea of one-on-one help but feel uncomfortable with the possibility that the one person may simply be wrong, and may end up rather discouraging than encouraging me. In an ideal world I think a free professional with lots of time and practical understanding might be a good counselor, but that is virtually a contradiction in terms (the “time” part and especially the “free” part).

4. Laziness and mental illness says:

Can a person b mentally ill and at the same time also lazy? Obviously this is kind of a touchy subject. Let’s back up for a minute. How about a healthy person? Can a person b physically and mentally healthy but still lazy? Most ppl would say that the answer is “yes”. Then there r ppl who do not believe that laziness exists period. There there is a PAL article that addresses that question. It is titled: “Does Everyone Exert Themselves Equally?”. There needs to b an article about laziness and mental illness.

• Gobo says:

Please Remind Me

An article about tbear type ppl and me who ask ppl to remind them to do things and r sincere about it – but some ppl do not like to remind/encourage bcz they think that it is equivalent to pestering / nagging. In their own lives yes perhaps it is – but not in the mind of the reminder-requester.