Financial Incentives

People Against Laziness / Get Help Get Active offers new clients $10 to compensate them for spending an hour to complete the Belief Assessment Interview.  Some people who have heard about this offer have commented that people might be willing to participate in the BAI even though they were not really lazy – just to get the money.  The purpose of this article is to respond to that observation.

So, the core idea in that kind of observation is that, the promise of money can (sometimes) motivate a person to make an un-true statement.  In other words, there is a danger in offering people cash in order to get them to talk about their inner motives – since they might just lie to get the money.

But isn’t that the same dynamic (potentially) that is happening whenever the government offers people cash through the various public assistance programs?  In other words, the premise of the government’s offer is that they are looking for people who are needy but not lazy.  So, in the case of a person who is poor primarily because he is lazy, doesn’t the government’s offer give the person an incentive to lie and claim that he is not lazy?

FinancialIncentives7

Of course there are many people who do, legitimately, deserve help from government and private charities.  The point of this article, though, is simply to respond to the observation that there may be some people who would be willing to (falsely) claim that they are lazy in order to get cash from PAL.

There is at least one important difference between PAL’s offer and the Welfare office’s offer.  Specifically, the amount of time and energy that you need to invest to get money out of PAL is $10/hour.  However, for the Welfare office, the long-term payoff is, potentially, much higher in terms of $/hour.

For more information, see our Getting Paid To Get Help page.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Financial Incentives

1. Ideas says:

How about an article about “Why are pl so pessimistic? “. And how does that affect a persons ability to get a job? If u believe that theworld is a bad place then u might not b willing to invest yr time and energy to accomplish goals – like becoming self supporting.

2. Ideas says:

Also it gets frustrating to see ppl getting ahead even tho they don’t pull their own weight – although, to b fair there have been times that I have not been too much of pulling my own weight myself.

3. Ideas says:

Sarcasm is an interesting phenomenon – we don’t realize the damage that it does bcz it is funny too. But sarcasm permeates tv sitcoms and other shows so it wears ppl down. What u think and what u believe are related – u will act according to your beliefs.

4. tommorow says:

Who is the Alpha Dog?

Article idea: Why Do We Work? We follow the order of the boss at work, but we dont follow our own orders in our private lives. Psychologically, we create a new shell within which we just obey the boss (when at work.) But that shell is maintained by subtle reminders that if we do not obey then we are out of a job. The cues are so subtle and smooth (like ball bearings) that we forget that they are there. But in a person’s personal life, there are no ball bearing reminders to keep us on track – bcz there is no threat of loosing the job. So, getting back to the question: Why Do We Work? I think it comes down to “I want to profit.” But, in my own life, I want to profit too, dont I (personal life.) And following those orders that I (try to) give myself would result in tremendous profit. Probably alot of it boils down to self-respect. The boss is the alfa-dog, I am not – so I do his bidding at work. When I am at home, I still KNOW THAT I AM NOT AN ALFA-DOG SO I DONT BOTHER TO RESPOND WHEN I BARK AT MYSELF!!! So, how does one move from beta to alfa? Probably hinges on self-respect.

5. tommorow says:

The subtle cues are still there in the case of self-direction, but they are several degrees more subtle than those that the boss gives out. So … how to become more aware of subtle cues? The problem is that there are so many of them that they tend to overwhelm us. Probably meditation would help … Reminds me of that article about Big Feedback and Little Feedback.

6. let it go says:

What Does “Reasonable Self-Exertion” Mean?

Article to introduce the Work Ideal. Its different for each person. But, in some ways, it is the same.

7. tbear says:

As a person who suffers from low self exertion i can honestly say that get help get active helped me in a major way

8. Three says:

Sincerity And Insincerity – are these real qualities? Of course – we have all experienced them in our own lives. Purpose of article is to challenge the notion that laziness does not exist – since it is just an example of insincerity. There are actually many other ways in which sincerity and insincerity can manifest themselves, too.