Internet Usage Statistics, Human Reasoning & Poverty

Back in 1988, I had a friend who told me that the state had purchased a desktop computer and delivered it to her home as part of her vocational rehabilitation career training. (At the time I did not have a computer.) I remember thinking that, if I could only get a computer for myself, then it would be so much easier for me to, similarly, improve my career skills – and get a better job.

Fun and easy versus boring and difficult

Eventually I got a home computer. So, did I use it to help myself to improve my career skills?

Yes … somewhat. But I also quickly ran into a problem that was hauntingly similar to the one that I had previously experienced when my “learning avenues” were limited to reading library books. In other words, I just got tired of focusing on the career-useful skills and shifted my attention to the fun and easy things.

FAE vs BAD flatten

In the pre-computer days, the “fun and easy” things meant “watching tv instead of reading books.” Now-a-days, it means using fun and easy internet resources rather than those resources which can (if I study them diligently) move me forward with my career plans.

Reasons or excuses?

So from hindsight, it seems to me that the reason that I was using (in 1988) to convince myself that I did not have a good enough learning environment (because I did not have a computer) was kind of insincere.

Internet usage statistics

Now-a-days in America many poor people have access to all of the worlds libraries via the internet. So, do they use this access to further their career skills in order to help themselves to rise out of poverty?

FB And The Man (2)

Or do the poor, by and large, use their internet access in fun and easy ways that tend to keep them locked in poverty? And do they sometimes explain their poverty by using “reasons” outside of their own time-management choices?

Get Help and Get Active

How about you?  Do you have access to the internet?  Are you struggling in poverty?  If so, then, in your own opinion, does the way that you use technology tend to help you in your efforts to become self-supporting – or does it tend to keep you locked in poverty?

If you are satisfied with the way that you use technology, then good for you. But what if you are closer (in your own mind) to having the sense that your use of the internet is not exactly where you, yourself would like it to be?

Get Help Get Active is a 100% free service designed to help people who, from their own perspective, feel that they are not making a reasonable effort to stay on track with their own career efforts.  If that is where you are at, then please take a look at what we have to offer.  Remember, you will never pay anything.  Get help and get active!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Internet Usage Statistics, Human Reasoning & Poverty

1. RZ says:

What Is Obstinance? For some folks is this the form that laziness takes?

2. TK says:

Three Kinds Of Starters

Self-Starter (SS), Self-Aware Non-Self-Starter (SA-NSS) and Non-Self-Aware Non-Self-Starter (NSA-NSS). The SS will be okay. The SA-NSS will be okay if he can find a symbiotic manager to fill in his handicaps. The NSA-NSS will probably find it very difficult to work with a manager bcz he does not recognize his need for the manager but he will recognize the unpleasant pushiness of the manager.

Built into this article with slight differences: Three Kinds of Starters

• TK says:

Very precocious intelligent young ppl are sometimes NSA-NSS.

• TK says:

Why Are Managers Jerks?

Perhaps because they can? And bcz u let them do it to u by agreeing to continue to work there. The managers are (sometimes) secretly disgusted with their employees bcz they (the Managers) look at the employees and say to themselves: “I am sure that this fellow could be making more money and be in a more fulfilling line of work if he would only apply his mind to make it happen. But he (my worker) does not, so I find myself disgusted with him – especially when I hear him complaining about his job.”

BTW, many managers are not jerks. Sometimes they are nice because, on principle they are just nice people. Other times, they are nice because they recognize that their employees are valuable assets to the company. I guess there could be many reasons.

• TK says:

Also, a NSA-NSS may misinterpret reasonable other-starter efforts by the boss as being somehow cruel or unusual. In reality, the NSA-NSS just thinks it’s C&A bcz he has never experienced reasonable self-starting stresses?

• AUH says:

This is so absolutely true!

• Brother says:

Another variation of this problem: if u say something to me in a *nice* way then I am okay with it. But if it is not nice then, even if it is the same underlying message, I will refuse to hear it – and possibly even get pissed off at you.

• Brother says:

NSS (both versions) should be considered a handicap – but not a full disability? – it is sort of like being in a wheelchair – you need ongoing help (or reasonable accommodations) in order to be able to hold a job.

• AUH says:

Two Kinds of Sweat and Pain

I think it is really like a disease. A SS will not have any trouble in keeping himself on track. Actually he will have trouble but it will be only the same “trouble” that a person experiences when they are doing a job which they have already resigned themselves to do. So the SS will only experience the sweat and pain of doing the work. But the NSS must also experience the pain of repeatedly *deciding* to do the work – before they can even start with the sweat and pain of doing the work! That’s it! It’s like the NSS has amnesia or Demensia. Because he (the NSS) makes a decision to start but then he keeps on getting side-tracked and forgetting his determination. This reminds me of the phrase “a one track mind.”

• AUH says:

The two types of “trouble” could be represented nicely in a venn diagram – where the NSS experiences a superset of what the SS experiences.

• AUH says:

Behind Every Great Man

You said: “The SA-NSS will be okay if he can find a symbiotic manager to fill in his handicaps.”. But the problem is that the symbiotic manager will only be able to help the NSA-NSS when the NSA-NSS is at work! So the rest of the time, he (the NSA-NSS) is left to flounder. That’s why it is so difficult for him to set educational goals on his own and carry them through to completion. Same thing with looking for a “better” job. It’s a real pain bcz there is no symbiotic manager. BTW, this reminds me of the saying: Behind every great man there is a great woman. So, possibly, what that means is that she becomes the symbiotic manager for the man – although the symbiosis does not take the form of a strictly cash-based mutual benefit – as in the case of the “regular” manager. BTW, did you ever notice how movie stars have “managers?”. I wonder if the relationship (at least in some cases) takes the form of the overall-life symbiotic manager that we have been talkin about here?

• AUH says:

I have recently been making the transition from being a NSA-NSS to being a SA-NSS. I suppose it is similar to what people experience as they come to believe that they have a psychiatric illness. It hurts (on the one hand) … largely to pride? But on the other hand it is a wonderful revelation that explains away so much of the frustration. So it gives the person hope that something can be done that will create a system-wide fix!

For a while now I have thought of myself as SMD, but I am coming to think that there is a lot of AMD in me. Because if I really were SMD, then, when these long blank spots come up, I would be reaching out to my Accountability Friend for guidance and cheer. Or more like comfort the disturbed and disturb the comforted?

Yes, yes, I think that that is it. I secretly hate my AP. Secretly I am saying to myself … “Okay, I’ll go along with this charade – just so as I can practice helping other people by pretending to be an AP. But I don’t need it myself. It is actually really offensive to me just to countenance the suggestion. But I’m a good actor, so it wont be difficult for me to play along.”

And it makes sense in a way, too, because I have been able to SS in many areas. Although, I suppose that, since I have been working with the AP, that my perception of SS is largely “helped-along” by the threat of humiliation when I give my daily report. But I am telling myself, that I cannot count that threat against my self-appraisal as a sincere SS because that would mean that everything that I am doing was being “helped-along by the threat of humiliation” … and that would be absurd, because I was already doing fairly okay with my ADL’s even before I started the AP relationship …

But that requires purposefully overlooking the 15% improvement on my daily goals that I have noticed, since I started with the AP.

• AUH says:

So I have a few questions for you. First, is this kind of a division (SS, SA-NSS & NSA-NSS) a fair of looking at the human condition? If your answer is no, then what, specifically, am I overlooking? But if your answer is yes, then which of the three is closest to where you, yourself are at?

• AUH says:

This is like bipolar – and a lawnmower that is not running will experience stress as it is being started. Dragons are like fears – if you overcome it then you take on the scales (the power) of the dragon.

• AUH says:

NSS is a bit of a misnomer. For many ppl the problem is not starting, per se. Rather the problem is in staying on track and moving. Since it is so easy to get off track.

3. AUH says:

The Optimal Path

Everyone agrees that learning is a worthwhile tool in the quest to become self-supporting. But many people add in an implicit caveat, which, basically says this:

“Yes, learning definitely is worthwhile.  But I would not want to waste time and energy learning things that are not important. So, if some smart person would just be nice enough to give me a list of the optimal learning resources (books, videos, people I should meet, etc) then I would be happy to start the process.”

Of course that is not an easy question to answer. Colleges attempt to answer it by listing specific courses and the books that you need to read to pass the course. And even they do not agree. But they generally agree that different people tend to be more suitable in different career paths (judging by their aptitude, their interest and their willingness to dedicate themselves to a longer or a shorter study path.)

So, the point is that, while there probably is an optimal path for you, it is unlikely that you will be able to exactly find it without experiencing a good deal of wasted energy along the way. So, once you have your first few experiences with loss and waste, you might be tempted to give up. But that would be a mistake.

Don’t expect to find the optimal path. Instead, invest your energies in a reasonable path and re-evaluate as you go on along your way.  Of course, you will experience a few disheartening dead-ends and reversals along the way.  But if you persist in this process of a) Reasonable investment of time and energy, and b) Periodic re-evaluation, then you will succeed.  And that is the true optimal path.

• AUH says:

And the “reasonable path” is for u to start spending yr time in reading to learn career useful skills (or proto-skills like math or computer fundamentals or Spanish) rather than just sitting around and mopping in self pity and playing video games or watching TV.

• Gamer says:

Re: “So, once you have your first few experiences with loss and waste, you might be tempted to give up. But that would be a mistake” – that is what I experienced back in high school when I had my first experiences with taking a course (I.e, Algebra) for which I told myself: “this is a stupid thing to study – bcz I will never use this.”. Of course though that was mainly just a lie that I told myself to justify bailing out on the effort to study. And the truth was that the ppl who studied Algebra diligently ended up with much better career outcomes.

• PAL says:

You have know this all of your life (at least since you became adult enough that you could self-reflect.) But you were oftentimes not able to bring yourself to face this painful truth (i.e., that long-term based intellectual “work” was your moral responsibility) when the temptation of a credible, soothing lie was so easily (and secretly) available. Hence, you were oftentimes unable to bring yourself to act on the truth of the Optimal Path.

This situation is a classic example of Adversarial Manager Dependence. For the last 20+ years you have had a self-perceived, do-able high-priority responsibility. That responsibility was, is and always will continue to be: I must regularly self-exert to study career-useful skills. This study process will require me to discipline myself to spend a lot of time doing boring work …

but … I know that I can’t seem to get myself to do that

and I shy away from seeking a manager to remind / cajole / push me.

4. AUH says:

What Might Have Been – maybe it is valuable to grieve the losses of the past. So make a list of all of the things that I might reasonably have done in the last 30 years. Three languages, music etc. Books. Travel. Businesses, then plan out the next 30. What is keeping you from doing those things?

5. AUH says:

There is a question of “seeing the results of my efforts” after working on a task. It is certainly nice to have that nice feedback but that is a separate question from my personal eyeball assessment of whether or not I put in a full rse effort today.

6. AUH says:

Fourth Grade Reading Level – about the transition from teacher to educational manager that occurs once a student becomes sufficiently advanced to be able to read books on his own. But there still remains a super powerful illusion that the teacher is still necessary. And sans teacher (I can’t afford to go to college), I therefore have an excellent reason not to bother to learn. To expose this big lie. Which I have personally fallen for.

7. 20B says:

Obey The Boss-Man Mode

It is a state of resignation. There is not much enthusiasm, but that does not matter so long as the worker keeps moving. If you could look into the worker’s mind he would explain it as: Someone else is doing the thinking for me. My participation in this event will meet my needs. I am a cog in his machine and that is okay. There is a certain risk about this whole operation – but the boss is willing to assume the risk – so I am ok with it. Ironically the worker might play the lottery – as an example of assuming risks for himself – but the risk of the lottery is empty of any thinking/guiding/decision-making (as must happen in the mind of the entrepreneur.)

When you are functioning in OBM, you can drag yourself out of bed day after day – even when you are really tired. If it were not for OBM that would almost certainly be impossible. It reminds me of a zen state. People even use the word “zombie” to describe how they feel – tired but still moving ahead.

• 20B says:

Machines Can Still Work In Multiple Failure Modes

Machines are often designed to work in multiple different modes. Then as they age and begin to fail, the first failure shows up as “it doesn’t work in such-and-such mode.”

Maybe humans are kind of similar? In other words, maybe some people (due to a subtle internal failure) can work effectively in the Obey-The-Boss-Man Mode, but they cannot work effectively in the Obey-Self-Direction Mode.

When that happens with a machine, then we either 1) get it fixed, or 2) apply some on-the-spot duct-tape & pliers temporary fix, or 3) get a new machine or 4) just don’t try to use the machine in the broken mode.

Unfortunately, with humans who cannot work effectively in the Obey-Self-Direction Mode, they find it very difficult to take the self-direction steps (like continuing education and networking and job searching) that are really critical to being able to move things forward with the overall career.

• 20B says:

That’s interesting that there is “Not Much Enthusiasm” – and that it doesn’t really matter that there is NME – so long as the workers just keep moving, they will get the job done – which is all the boss really cares about. Versus “generating enthusiasm” – which is something that volunteer group leaders have to do regularly.

And there has to be a credible threat of significant loss or pain to keep you on track. Otherwise OBM peters out pretty quickly.

• 20B says:

Breaking the Spell

Also the boss has to be careful not to piss off the workers in any unusual way – since that *might* activate their “reassess the overall worthwhileness of the agreement to work at this job” line of thinking – which can break the spell of OBM – possibly leading to a middle-of-the-day quitting the job.

8. 20B says:

Things I Don’t Want To Do – there have been many instances in my life of having a deadline come up in which there were things that I wanted to avoid – but the deadline kind of forced the issue. How did I handle those things in the past? What insights can I glean from those experiences which might help me with my present ball of yarn?

9. 20B says:

Am I Really Trying?

A friend said to me “well, at least you are trying” – when I told him about my recent struggles with laziness. Then I asked myself if I really was trying. I have then sense that, at certain times, I try harder than I do at other times. So what would be (in my own mind) a sufficiently energized level of trying (in my own life) for me to feel like I was being honest if I were to say “Well, at least I’m trying”? Because sometimes I feel as though I’m not really trying.

Is Everyone (At Least) Trying?

Maybe it’s worthwhile to ask a question even when you recognize that the question is absurd. Like this one. Because we all know, from our own personal inner experience, that sometimes we are not even trying. Its like a pre-mature surrender to depression.

This reminds me of: Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, And Nobody

10. 20B says:

What Is Humiliation? This is what we fear when trying things – not that something bad will happen per se – but rather just the thought that people will secretly laugh at us. This reminds me of the old saying: “Dance like no one’s watching.”

11. Ironically, yes the “man” is keeping this fellow down – but in this case, the man is the man who profits from and thus encourages the mindless FB, games and chat.

12. Anonymous says:

The Spell of the Imaginary Leader

When you sign up for college the first time you perceive that you are going to obey the teachers directions to work and study. Then, slowly, that perception crumbles – probably as you loose your fear of / respect for the teacher. Then you realize that you must discipline yourself. And that illusion of respect / fear is even weaker when you attempt to apply it from yourself to yourself. So the student faces the reality of the threat of loss and failure without the aid of an imaginary leader (meaning the teacher).

This analysis reminds me of the helpfulness of believing that a deity is watching your actions and will punish you (possibly with eternal torture) if you fail to do the “right thing”. For many people, that conception can keep them on track. But then when their belief in the deity is shaken, their willingness to self-exert in order to obey the law is similarly reduced.

13. Dinner Party says:

Freedom Is Slavery

Meaning: People who have freedom are (almost invariably) unable to discipline themselves enough to keep the blessings of liberty. So they usually loose it. Which means returning to slavery.